show / hide sidebar
Holiday Hazards - 5 Things for Your Pet to Avoid
As the weather grows colder and holidays approach, it's time to start thinking about possible safety hazards for your pet that weren't worrisome during the warmer months. Here are a few things to avoid, keeping your pet safe throughout the rest of Fall and into the Winter months.
Plants and Flowers - 'Tis the season for beautiful fall/winter plants - that can also wreak havoc on your pet's stomach. Seasonal plants like Holly, Mistletoe, Poinsettia, and Amaryllis are considered poisonous for pets. Also, steer clear of blooming plants like chrysanthemums, crocuses, and clematis, as well as fall fruits. While the fruit itself isn't always harmful, the leaves, stems, and seeds are toxic.
Candy / Table Scraps - With the holidays approaching it is important to keep a watchful eye on what treats your pet is noshing on. It is easy for a pet to quickly snag a piece of leftover Halloween candy off the table when you're not looking, and it's hard to say no to a quick treat when everyone else is enjoying those delicious Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Chocolate, as well as the spices, herbs, and onions used, can really do a number on your pet's stomach. If you must share something special, try boneless, skinless turkey, mashed sweet potatoes, pumpkin or one of our delicious Dinovite Treats.
Holiday Decorations - When decking the halls, don't forget to keep your pet's safety in mind! Decorations like tinsel can cause intestinal blockages and hanging edible decorations like strung popcorn and cranberries are asking for the tree to be knocked over. Low hanging lights can also tangle up your pet and/or cause possible electrocution.
Rodenticides - With colder days ahead, mice, rats, and other rodents tend to seek shelter within the warmth of our homes and the surrounding area. This can put your pet at risk as rat and mouse poisons are used to control the situation. To keep them safe, make sure cats are kept indoors and dogs are leashed, especially in public areas (parks, schools, etc.) If placing rodenticides inside, make sure to keep out of your pet's reach, including the remainder of what's inside the box/bag. If your pet does ingest, call your vet immediately and try to bring packaging (or sample of the pesticide if you can safely obtain it) with you to the appointment.
Antifreeze - While Antifreeze poisoning is a hazard always, it is even more common throughout the winter months. Keep watch for small puddles in your garage, driveway, and on roadways, as well as make sure to keep all containers in a safe storage space away from your pet's reach. Look out for signs like vomiting, lethargy, uncoordinated movement, excessive urination, as well as others, as indication of possible poisoning.